Friday, March 20, 2015

EMC++ News: New Excerpt, Upcoming Webcast, 50% Ebook Discount

There's lots going on in the Effective Modern C++ 'verse these days. Behind the scenes, I'm gearing up to  revise the book for an upcoming forth printing, during which I hope to make a big dent in the list of known errata, but in the meantime, please note the following:
  • The Effective Modern C++ Sample Page has been updated to include a new sample Item. This time it's

    Item 14: Declare functions noexcept if they won't emit exceptions.

    As with the previous sample Items, this is the final version of preliminary material I published on my blog for community feedback, most recently about a year ago.
  • On March 31, I'll be doing a live webcast covering material from the book's chapter on the C++11 concurrency API. The Item I'll be officially discussing is Item 39, "Consider void futures for one-shot event communication," but the presentation will include information from other Items, as well. For details on the webcast and to sign up (it's free), mosey on over to the webcast's official page.
  • Through March 25, O'Reilly is running a C++ promotion that makes digital versions of its C++ titles available for 50% off. To take advantage of this opportunity to cut my royalties in half, follow this link.
Scott

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've registered for the webcast and look forward to it - your presentation skills are unparalleled and always keep me engaged.

In a talk, you once referred to physicists using C++ templates to create a safe system for computations and dimensional analysis. If you can still remember, can you tell me what specific group you were referring to? As a physicist and C++ user I would be very interested.

Scott Meyers said...

@Jamal Shafiq: There's a pretty long history behind the use of templates for dimensional analysis. My first exposure to it was in a 1995 article by Barton and Nackman in "C++ Report" that summarized their treatment of the same topic in their 1994 book, "Scientific and Engineering C++." Since then, there have been several articles or papers on the same topic (by e.g., Walter Brown and Michael Kenniston), and since 2008, Boost has has a Units library that uses the technology.

I hope this information is useful.

Unknown said...

@Scott Meyers: Thank you for your prompt reply, Scott. I'll have a look at the book you mentioned, and the papers by Walter Brown and Michael Kenniston. Coincidentally, I just watched Walter's talk from CppCon14 on template metaprogramming.