Monday, January 23, 2012

C++11 Training Materials now jibe with the Final Standard

I mentioned in my November announcement of an updated version of my C++11 training materials that I'd been made aware of a few places where my stuff wasn't fully in accord with the final standard.  In this most recent revision, I've addressed those issues.  To the best of my knowledge, everything in the materials now corresponds to the standard.

Achieving such conformance was my primary motivation for releasing a new set of materials so soon after the last revision, but I also clarified some explanations, fixed a few typos, and did other minor housekeeping chores. All in all, I revised things in about two dozen places. As always, people who've purchased the notes should have automatically been notified of the new release, and they should have received a list of changes I made. If you weren't notified, let me know.

Added 1/27/12: From Artima (publisher of the training materials):
You can log into Artima with the account you used to purchase the
book, click on "Your Settings", and redownload anytime. If you've
forgotten your password, you can get a reminder at
http://www.artima.com/account/mailpwd?d=%2Findex.jsp

Incidentally, I also increased the length of the free sample from 25 to 40 pages, thereby adding range-based for loops, nullptr, Unicode support, and raw string literals to the list of topics I cover there. That should make it easier for people to get a better feel for what they'll receive if they purchase the materials.

I hope you'll excuse my repeating myself from my November posting, but the following is still apt:
If you're interested in a book-like publication covering the most important parts of C++11 (both language and library), I encourage you to consider purchasing my training materials.  If you like my other publications, I think you'll like these, too.  To see exactly what you'll be getting, check out the free sample.

Because this publication is in an unconventional format (annotated training materials), is available from a lesser-known publisher (Artima), and is electronic-only (DRM-free PDF), getting the word out about it has been challenging.  I'd appreciate it if you'd let people know about it, whether through blogs, tweets, social networks (the politically correct term for Facebook), email, or that most retro of communications mechanisms, face-to-face conversation.
Thanks,

Scott

No comments: