Wednesday, January 12, 2000

CUJ Article is now out; June Seminar Reminder

My artice, "How Non-Member Functions Imrove Encapsulation", is now
available in the current issue of the C/C++ Users Journal. I think this is
some of the best work I've done in a while, and I hope you find it
interesting. Here is the opening paragraph:

I'll start with the punchline: If you're writing a function that can be
implemented as either a member or as a non-friend non-member, you should
prefer to implement it as a non-member function. That decision
*increases* class encapsulation. When you think encapsulation, you
should think non-member functions.

To my great delight, the entire article is also available on-line at
http://www.cuj.com/current/feature.html. CUJ and I had agreed in advance
that the article would eventually be made available via the web, but I
didn't expect them to make it available electronically at the same time as
the print version. I encourage you to send the editor, Marc Briand, mail
thanking him for making the article so easily accessible. His address is
mbriand@mfi.com.

We're still working on the details, but my hands-on "Effective STL" seminar
is planned for June 7-9 near Portland, Oregon. Within the next couple of
weeks, I'll send out a mailing with all the information you'll need, but
for the time being, I hope you'll plan to join me June 7-9 to get down and
dirty with the STL -- the most revolutionary library design I've ever seen,
and one we're darned lucky to have as part of standard C++.

Scott

PS - In an earlier mailing, I told you that my DDJ article on operator->*
would soon be available on-line. I'm still waiting to hear from DDJ about
when "soon" will be. When I know, I'll let you know.

No comments: